Do I need a residence or work permit for Germany?

Your entry to Germany and prospects for acquiring long-term residence status will depend on which country you come from.

The local Foreigners Registration Office (Ausländerbehörde) will make a decision about your residence. They will also check whether your vocational training attained abroad is a particular shortage occupation in Germany. If this is the case, a work permit is usually issued. If you come from an EU state, all you need to do is register with the appropriate Residents’ Registration Office (Einwohnermeldeamt).

Weitere Fragen für