From Abroad - Frequently Asked Questions

A family member is already living and working in Germany. Under what conditions can other family members join them?

­­First of all, the decisive factor is country of origin.

read more

Do I need a residence or work permit for Germany?

Your entry to Germany and prospects for acquiring long-term residence status will depend on which country you come from.

read more

From which country of origin will you be entering Germany? Do you need a visa?

In principle, EU nationals, as well as nationals from Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland, can enter Germany. Freedom of movement rules allow them to work without restriction in Germany.

read more

How can I work and learn German on the job?

There are many situations in everyday working life that require you to speak, read or write German: communicating with customers or work colleagues, understanding instructions or safety regulations and documenting work steps, to name a few.

read more

How do I find a company that I can apply to?

In the Erzgebirge, there are plenty of small and medium-sized businesses offering attractive jobs with good opportunities for development.

read more

How do you apply for a visa? What is the procedure for obtaining a visa and entering the country? What documentation is required? What fees apply?

An interactive overview shows what you need to do to enter Germany, from obtaining a visa to arrival. The Foreigners Registration Office also provides information about visa fees, processing times and the multilingual application documents required.

read more

Is my foreign professional qualification recognised in Germany?

Firstly, it is important to ascertain whether your vocational training is comparable with a German occupation.

read more

What are the first important steps to take after arriving in the Erzgebirge?

You have thought long and hard about your decision to emigrate to Germany to live and work. Such a step requires careful planning and preparation.

read more

What is my current level of German?

The Common European Framework of Reference for Languages will help you assess your language level.
It describes skills in writing, speaking, listening and reading.

read more

What level of German is recommended? How can I find out my language level?

It is usually the employer that decides whether or not your German skills are adequate for the position advertised. Only for very few jobs must a certain language level be certified. In general, a minimum level of B2 is advisable for work.

read more

What type of visa do you need?

There are different types of visa depending on your reason for entering Germany. If you are coming to Germany to work, you must apply for the appropriate work visa.

read more

Where can I learn or improve my German in the Erzgebirge district?

The Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (Bundesamt für Migration und Flüchtlinge) can help you find regional language courses. Further services are listed on the Federal Employment Office’s KURSNET platform.

read more

Which family members can legally enter Germany through family reunification?

Family reunification regulations exist first of all for the nuclear family (spouse and children who are minors).

read more

Your Contact

Kristin Kocksch

Telephone: +49 3733 145 109

Nora Bräuer

Telephone: +49 3733 145 165

Kathrin Stellmacher

Telephone: +49 3733 145 161

Sara Unger

Telephone: +49 3733 145 162

Theresia Wanke

Telephone: +49 3733 145 160